Re: [LUG] Non-technical support ticketing system

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Simon Waters wrote:

On 06/08/12 10:05, Neil Stone wrote:

Request tracker... it's free and highly customizable.

Have to say I found it a bit too customizable, and I had a lot of perl
expertise on hand if I'd needed it at the time.

I think there is scope for simpler problem trackers.

I found a proprietary software as a service type tracker which I thought
was suitable for our needs, hugely simpler than RT (at least in initial
presentation - which is where it matters mostly), but I haven't done the
full implementation, and don't want to recommend proprietary solutions.

One of the "pains" is that most people want email integration, and email
is pretty hard to handle. You need to direct email to a specific
account(s), you typically want the actions triggered immediately an
email arrives etc, you want replies to work, you want to handle bounces
and rejects sensibly (and automatically!). Suddenly simply adding "email
integration" doesn't seem so simple.

I started to use Cerberus Helpdesk for my own stuff for a while. (Free for a small number of users if you regsiter) It has email integration (by querying a POP/IMAP account IIRC) but it does require a lot of discipline to use - even if it's only 2 of you using it (as it was at the time).

Gordon