[LUG] Notepad computers

I'm looking at notepads at the moment as my wife got her hands on an Ipad and liked it. (A rare event where computing is concerned). I would not touch Microsoft or Apple on principle (let's not go into that) so it looks like something like the Asus Transformer Pad TF300, whatever, but it will run Android.

The question is, how customiseable is Android on notepads? Is what you see is what you get? Can the version be updated? Or are these things the ultimate built-in obsolescence?

George