Re: [LUG] Notepad computers

On 27/07/12 16:47, George Parker wrote:
I'm looking at notepads at the moment as my wife got her hands on an
Ipad and liked it. (A rare event where computing is concerned). I would
not touch Microsoft or Apple on principle (let's not go into that) so it
looks like something like the Asus Transformer Pad TF300, whatever, but
it will run Android.

I'd suggest looking at the Google Nexus Tablet, I understand it's £159 for the 8GB version or £199 for the 16GB version. They run the latest version of Android (Jellybean), have a pretty good spec (IIRC it's a quad core 1.5GHz ARM CPU and 1GB Ram) and being a Google device it should be okay for future updates.

Other than that I saw something earlier to say the Blackberry Playbook 32GB model has been dropped to £150. It could be worth considering (IIRC the Playbook OS is based on QNX), although I don't know how well supported it will be in the future (especially considering the difficulties RIM seem to be having at the moment).

> The question is, how customizable is Android on notepads? Is what you
> see is what you get? Can the version be updated? Or are these things the
> ultimate built-in obsolescence?

It depends on what device you get. Some manufacturers are pretty good for providing updates, others not so much. For instance Samsung haven't made ICS (Android 4) officially available for the Galaxy S phone (but to be fair it's had updates from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 officially) but there is a large developer community at XDA Developers who port Android to various Android devices (and even the HP TouchPad tablet too, and someone is working on a port for the Nokia Windows Phones :-D). I use one of these ports based on CyanogenMod 9 on my Galaxy S and it works quite well.

So personally I think that if you go for a well known brand (Samsung, Google, Asus etc) you're probably more likely to get official updates and if not official updates maybe unofficial updates.

Rob