Re: [LUG] Linux as a gaming platform? WAS :- Microsoft in first loss to date

On 07/25/2012 01:37 PM, Steven Côté wrote:
    Although I advocate FLOSS and couldn't live without it I think there
    is a difference between software that allows you to /do/ something
    and software that is purely for /entertainment/. I consider a closed
    source game in the same department as a film or music, its
    entertainment and I don't mind paying for it. I have no will or
    reason to want to hack away at a film or MP3 track in the same way I
    wouldn't with a commercial game. Its not quite the same (i used to
    mod games), granted, but the closest comparison I can think of :).

I see a big difference here, and it's one I'm surprised more developers
don't take advantage of. I see nothing wrong with the actual game
content being wrapped up in all sorts of copyright law (same as a film
or music track), but then using a Free game engine (like all good
software is).

Of the big development houses, ID are probably the best at this, but
even they only release their engine once it's been retired. Still, that
act has given Linux some of its best games. With a working engine in
hand, amateur developers were able to make incremental improvements to
the engine and focus on making the actual game content.

It would be really nice to see more Free engines out there, and then if
publishers like, keep the games them selves wrapped up tight with copyright.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments. hmmmm I am still pondering my point of view (i was always a little slow). My knee-jerk reaction to proprietary games on linux is positive. Simply because the total use of floss software will increase (perhaps significantly?). Especially when you discover some of the rationale for companies like steam showing an interest in our great platform....

http://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/why-valve-wants-to-port-2500-games-on-linux/

Essentially they think windows 8, with its app-store, will be "catastrophic".

I also think that ubuntu + steam could be a very powerful (read "easy") combination for those that just want to crack on and game with minimal fuss and bother.

Cheers, sun-burnt roly :-)