Re: [LUG] postscript code generator

On 14/06/12 15:07, tom wrote:

> Sounds like you've been looking at very very very old HTML stuff.
> You can position stuff very easily with stylesheets and  and then just
> print if from the screen.

I don't think there is a screen involved here.

Depends what the positioning is for. Since paper stays the same size, we
get addresses into envelope windows and that sort of thing using the
simple html2ps.

HTML is not a great choice for paged documented either.

I've a done a fair bit on html to pdf conversion recently, and only the
big rendering engines do decent job with stylesheets, and even then some
(mainly Webkit) have very low quality printed output.

But I think there are too many choices, and I would nail it down with
what is the starting format, what sort of tools are in use. e.g. If the
"invoice" is currently just some records in a database, and the
interface is web with PHP, then maybe fpdf is the answer. If the invoice
is already in some sort of document format I'd start with trying to
print that. If you just want to knock some C together and earn GNU
points then GNU PDF maybe.