Re: [LUG] Possible meeting place/demo room?

On 15/04/12 07:32, Viv Griffin wrote:

On 14 April 2012 21:44, Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Here's one data point for such a talk: This is the first year I've
    done two complete-wipe/single-boot installs for non-techies that
    have JFW, zero problems. Mint 10 & 11.

Thanks Philip. I will install Mint on a Virtual Box and have a look at
it. You mention versions 10 and 11 specifically. I know that Mint 12 is
out now (have just checked). Do you avoid the latest version for new
users or is it just that you are not using it yourself yet? I will have
a look at it and let you know what I think.

It's probably worth pointing out that Mint 10 is end of life this month (it's based on Ubuntu 10.10). However Mint 9 is an LTS release which IIRC is supported until April next year, or Mint 11 is supported until about October this year.

I'm running Mint 12 on my laptop and to be honest I'm not a big fan of Gnome 3. I've given it a try and it's not bad (compared to Unity) but I'm too much of a fan of Gnome 2. I've installed Mint Debian Edition on another PC to have a play with and it isn't too bad (apart from a bit of breakage with the Mint menu). The Linux Mint Debian Edition now defaults to Mate (which I understand is a fork of Gnome 2), and it's also included with Mint 12 so it works in pretty much the same way as Mint 11 (you just have to select it on the login screen on Mint 12).

I can also recommend the LXDE versions of Mint for lower end hardware, runs pretty well even with only something like 256MB Ram (and I dare say only with 128MB Ram).

Rob