Re: [LUG] Routers and Modems

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012, Tony Sumner wrote:

On Apr 14, 2012, Neil Winchurst wrote:

'this router does not include a modem so you will need to add one'.

This has mystified me for along time. I thought a modem is short for
moulator-demodulator and these were useful when signals were sent
along an ordinary phone line but surely an ADSL signal is digital
isn't it?

Modems of olde worked at audio frequencies (1200Hz) and enabled digital information to be conveyed over analogue lines...

Current ADSL modems work at radio frequencies (~1Mhz) and enable faster digital information to be conveyed over analogue lines.

It's the same idea, just at a higher frequency.

Sorry I can't suggest a router though. I've just switched
to the Phone Coop and they sent me a Technicolor TG582n which I
suppose is OK; it just works which is all I can say about it. It's
given me unbroken service for 10 days.

The Technicolour 582n router is now the one supplied by AAISP - an ISP with a very good reputation. If it's good enough for them...

Gordon