Re: [LUG] Xperia Ray and Wifi

On 01/04/12 11:23, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> I had issues with my phone - Windows Phone 7 - of a similar nature.
> What was happening was that every time the phone was turned off I lost
> connectivity to my router and it wouldn't come back no matter what I
> did.  It turned out that HTC in their all-too-finite wisdom had screwed
> up an update with the result that every time the phone was turned off it
> changed the MAC address!  Yes, immensely stupid I know, but they did it
> and it took them a couple of months to bother to fix it, however they
> did eventually.
>
> Here's something you could try.  In my router I can assign fixed IP
> addresses to specific MACs, so that for instance my NAS box always has
> the same IP on the network.  It could be that the DHCP lease is running
> out on your phone's IP and for some reason it's not refreshing
> properly.  Rebooting the router may be pushing a new IP to the phone
> rather than wait for it to ask for one.  Assigning your phone a fixed IP
> would solve that, if indeed that is the issue.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I have had a look at my router details (Netgear DG834G) and it says that
the nternet IP address is fetched dynamically from the ISP. There is a
slot under it for setting up a static IP address but how do I know what
to put there, or do I have to organise that with my ISP? And what are
the implications of do such a thing?

Thanks for the reply,

Neil