Re: [LUG] Debian and shared library

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012, Tony Sumner wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Give us some idea of what you're actually trying to do.

OK, here's the background (I was trying to be brief of course). I have
a database with MySQL and I can use the CLI for SQL queries but I would
like a GUI front end to make data entry easier. LibreOffice looked a
possible candidate and can be connected to MySQL with ODBC -- it needs
a driver and a data source name which ODBC provides. I know that the LO
documentation sugests JDBC instead but I thought the Java infrastructire
was OTT for what I want so I was trying ODBC first. Actually there is
more because the project will eventually be offered to someone else which
means I need to run LO and MySQL in Windows but I couldn't say that out loud.
I failed to get that to work so I thought I'd try the Linux route first
(_much_ easier). Hence the query about the library.

You could start with phpMyAdmin - It's PHP and runs from a web server, so you use a browser to access it. It's very general purpose, but you can use it for data entry, and searches. I use it mostly when creating datbases in the first instance and as an admin tool for managing users, etc.

  apt-get install phpmyadmin

will likely pull in *everything* you need including the apache web server, php, etc.

As for MySQL vs. anything else.. That's up to you. Some people like
Postgrsql, some Oracle, to each their own. I use MySQL as it's (arguably)
the most popular. And it's convenient.

I asked about mariadb specifically because this is said to be a drop-in
replacement for MySQL. I just wondered if anyone felt strongly about who
owns MySQL.

Oracle are still developing/managing the community (ie. GPL) version of MySQL, but I'm not deeply enough involved in the politics of it all to make too much of a judgement.

I also have 2 dozen servers running MySQL, so it's not something I want to change on a whim, unless I really have to...