Re: [LUG] Debian and shared library

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Tony Sumner wrote:

I am installing myodbc which is an ODBC connector supplied by the MySQL
community. I downloaded the installer and when I run myodbc-installer I get
the error:

myodbc-installer: error while loading shared libraries: libodbc.so.1:

I have a file libodbc.so.1 and it is in /usr/local/lib and points to
libodbc.so.1.0.0  I looked for LD_LIBRARYPATH and it is not there but
I have an idea that Debian (I have squeeze) has changed the way it finds
libraries. Is that so and can you tell me how I make the library available?

PS I think there may be some politics around MySQL (though I do like
it); would you recommend I use mariadb instead?

Firstly, do you actually need it?

I'm presuming you're trying to access a MySQL DB on a Debian server from a Microsoft client? Otherwise... ?

And even then, is there a Debian package to do what you need?

Give us some idea of what you're actually trying to do. If it's someting running on the server itself, (or even an application running elsewhere designed to talk to mysql), then it doesn't need odbc as it can just talk native sql directly to the server...

As for MySQL vs. anything else.. That's up to you. Some people like Postgrsql, some Oracle, to each their own. I use MySQL as it's (arguably) the most popular. And it's convenient.

Gordon