Re: [LUG] 14 ways to contribute to open source w/o being a programming rock star

On 13/03/12 10:09, Roland Tarver wrote:

Out of interest how many people here contribute to an open source project?

I used to do some code many years ago but today I haven't the stamina to help out in that way.

These days, amongst other things, I contribute mainly to the Scribus project by filing bug reports, wish lists and giving help where I can on the mailing list. I also buy new editions of the Scribus Manual because the proceeds go toward the the project itself.

I find that bug reports are always worth while (if you are certain you've found one) after all open source software is known for the quick detection and fixing of bugs. It may appear a bit daunting at first when you come to fill out a report but it soon becomes second nature and it gives you a real feeling of having helped. And if the developer comes back to you asking you to try something as proof of a fix that can be especially pleasing because then you are "in at the sharp end".

In fact this is for me probably the single most satisfying thing about FLOSS. Not only do you feel you have helped someone but you also get the satisfaction of having helped a whole community of users and developers.

Keith