Re: [LUG] Debian and shared library

Gordon wrote:
> Give us some idea of what you're actually trying to do.

OK, here's the background (I was trying to be brief of course). I have
a database with MySQL and I can use the CLI for SQL queries but I would
like a GUI front end to make data entry easier. LibreOffice looked a
possible candidate and can be connected to MySQL with ODBC -- it needs
a driver and a data source name which ODBC provides. I know that the LO
documentation sugests JDBC instead but I thought the Java infrastructire
was OTT for what I want so I was trying ODBC first. Actually there is
more because the project will eventually be offered to someone else which
means I need to run LO and MySQL in Windows but I couldn't say that out loud.
I failed to get that to work so I thought I'd try the Linux route first
(_much_ easier). Hence the query about the library.

> As for MySQL vs. anything else.. That's up to you. Some people like
> Postgrsql, some Oracle, to each their own. I use MySQL as it's (arguably)
> the most popular. And it's convenient.

I asked about mariadb specifically because this is said to be a drop-in
replacement for MySQL. I just wondered if anyone felt strongly about who
owns MySQL.

On Mar 12, 2012, Simon Waters wrote:
>  ODBC failed in its stated aim, and it failed because it
> allows too much flexibility

It failed in its stated aim because it can't find the library file
libodbc.so.1   My Windows trial failed in much the same way so I am very
interested to know that Simon has got ODBC working in Windows. Could I
consult Simon off-list perhaps?

Thanks a lot

Tony