Re: [LUG] Skype and/or Ekiga

On 08/03/12 06:59, tom wrote:

Good enough for video chat???
Am I the only one who finds video chat really disconcerting? The other
persons eyes are always down looking at their screen (or to the side or
whatever) so it only works if there’s at least two people at each end
where the natural feeling is 'left out' at not having real eye-contact.

I guess it depends on how the person is sitting and where they have the web cam. I was sat on the sofa with the webcam sat on the TV, I could make eye contact, although the folks I was talking to were on laptops.

How I see it, it's good enough to see family who live miles away, for instance my girlfriend is French, she doesn't get over to France that often to see her family but she'll be able to talk to them over Skype a couple of times a week which is better than not having hardly any contact.

In a one to one situation where the other person appears to be avoiding
eye contact your natural response is suspicion - and I'm getting the
feeling you cant be trained out of that one.

I can't say I've noticed that on a video chat, but maybe that's just me. I'm happy with my setup anyway, works really well after a bit of faffing about.

I'm wondering if video chat may end up the same as car driving - where
social mores are not reinforced properly and things fall apart.
Tom te tom te tom

Dunno, maybe we should go back to having people walk in front of cars :-)

Rob