Re: [LUG] Video chat

 On 21/02/2012 18:56, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:40:55 +0000
Neil Winchurst<barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Hello Neil,

I have been doing some research and I have come across Skype, Ekiga and
Empathy, so I am now getting a bit lost with it all. Has Linux reached
The likelihood is that your relatives are using Skype rather than the
other options.
Ekiga seems popular on the Mac, and it's available for Windows too, but if they are talking to each other I agree chances are they're using the one everybody will be more familiar with - Skype.
the stage where this will all work quite easily?
Skype works here, but needs a few "tweaks" due to issues Skype has
running on Linux.  Fortunately, they are well documented.  With takeover
of Skype by Microsoft, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess about the long
term future of Skype on Linux.  As things are, it's already a few
versions behind.
Most websites seem to suggest Skype cannot be called by anything other than Skype, however the answer here suggests it's possible using one company's SIP software and Ekiga.

Alternatively, could you run a VM with Windows / WINE and Skype? A pain I know for just one program but worth it if it's an important function for you (and/or a quiet life :))

Julian