Re: [LUG] Video chat

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:40:55 +0000
Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

> I have been doing some research and I have come across Skype, Ekiga and
> Empathy, so I am now getting a bit lost with it all. Has Linux reached

The likelihood is that your relatives are using Skype rather than the
other options.

> the stage where this will all work quite easily?

Skype works here, but needs a few "tweaks" due to issues Skype has
running on Linux.  Fortunately, they are well documented.  With takeover
of Skype by Microsoft, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess about the long
term future of Skype on Linux.  As things are, it's already a few
versions behind.

Of course, if you are an Open Source purist, Skype will be be of no use
to you, since it's a proprietary protocol, and only available as a
binary blob from the Skype web site.  Whether Ekiga or Empathy have a
Skype compatibility option, I have no idea.  My guess would be not.

> Is it worth the hassle?

That, only you can decide.

--
 Regards  _
We don't need no-one to tell us what's right or wrong