[LUG] Video chat

My wife's niece lives in California. My wife's sister, who lives in
England, uses some form of video chat to talk to her daughter in
California, and I get asked why we can't do the same.

I have been doing some research and I have come across Skype, Ekiga and
Empathy, so I am now getting a bit lost with it all. Has Linux reached
the stage where this will all work quite easily? Is it worth the hassle?
Does anyone have any recommendations please, and can I be pointed in the
right direction? (By the way, said niece uses a Apple computer.)

If it turns out to be too complicated/expensive or not yet ready for
general use then I will know to turn a deaf ear to the comments at home!

Thanks

Neil