Re: [LUG] OT: ICT Teaching

On 21/02/12 16:51, Julian Hall wrote:
>  Hi All,
>
> We've all seen the reports on the news and in papers about ICT
> teaching in the UK being poor.  I'm considering a PGCE and so I looked
> up the entry requirements on the website for the university I would
> want to study at.  It makes interesting reading to say the least:
>
> Drama     2:2
> English 2:2
> ICT 2:2
> DT 3rd
> PE 2:1
> Music 2:2
> Physics 3rd
> Chemistry 3rd
> Biology 2:2
> Maths 2:2
> AD 3rd
> MFL 2:2
> History 2:2
> Welsh 3rd
>
> It would appear certain subjects allow a lower grade of degree in
> order to be able to teach them.  Quite why that would be is a mystery,
> but ICT only requires a 2:2, whereas PE is the only subject requiring
> a 2:1(!)  Why PE is singled out for this special treatment is anyone's
> guess - no offence intended to any PE teachers on the list of course!
> I don't know what some of the acronyms are (perhaps someone else
> does?) but it seems nonsensical to me that there is not a basic
> requirement for all teachers.  Chemistry and Physics only require a
> 3rd!  I would be very interested to know if this standard is common
> across all universities or just this particular one.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

On a slight tangent with this website,  I have recently joined

http://codingforkids.org/wiki/Main_Page

this is a group for people involved with running computer clubs in
schools and elsewhere that focus on programming etc,

I have mentioend what I am trying to set up before so bringing children
/ young people together that want to learn / code,  etc  and the above
group aims to be a sort of hub of information so good ideas can be
swapped,  what works,  what doesn't work,  and we can all learn from
each other then apply to individual groups,

the group seems to be open to both adults and young people which is a
good thing as that way you get a broad spectrum of ideas,

may be worth signing up,  as you may simply be able to help or make
suggestions etc

I think more informal groups could work very well,  no pressure,  no
being told what you are going to write just grab resources and read up,
grab source code (promote OSS how better to learn how a program works,
read the source)

learn from each other,   then perhaps contribute to something in order
to show what you can do.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com