Re: [LUG] Gnome3 and Ub 11.10

On 17/02/12 10:52, Martin Gautier wrote:

On 17/02/12 10:33, Jack Oley wrote:
It's good news that it's now possible to have the latest Ub without
Unity, but I find 11.04 much faster generally. Do users of Ub 11..10
not find it significantly slower than 11.04?
My 11.10 is quick enough using Gnome Shell.

I originally found it very slow when using Unity. I found it was Unity's
partner, Compiz, which was slowing things down. It's possible Compiz was
struggling with my nVidia 6000 series card & the nVidia drivers.

Since swapping to Gnome Shell and employing Unity 2D's panel, I get the
best of both worlds.

I'll be giving full Unity a try again with 12.04 but I may need to
upgrade my video card to get the best results.

Martin

Hmm. Not at all convinced that there is any problem I've come across that makes Unity a useful solution.

I'll be sticking with gnome 3.x for the foreseeable; one of the things that attracted me to Linux initially was the fact it could be 'my way' rather than imposed - Unity just seems another imposition to me...

FYI Unity 3D and compiz worked fine on my laptop with on-board 1Gb shared Intel 4x series Graphics, although I have heard some Nvidia horrors with Unity. As I have an expressed opinion about Unity, I don't see it as a problem... just don't use Unity :)

The new themes for Gnome3 are beautiful too - they just make my Linux Laptop look stunning! I'll have to see 12.04 before switching back to Ubuntu full-time...