Re: [LUG] Desktops again

On 24/01/12 12:43, paul sutton wrote:
people work in different ways and the desktop should reflect this. Paul

I agree that's why I use KDE's Activities a lot.

I have 6 activities set up ie.
1. village newsletter
2. graphics work
3. writing text
4. music editing
5. video editing
6. general setup

Each activity has the appropriate applications and with some useful plasmoids readily at hand.
eg Scribus, okular, post-it plasmoid etc.

Right click on the desktop, select the activity from the dialogue and the desktop changes and is instantly configured for that activity. complete with multiple virtual desktops. Even the wallpaper changes (eg. I always use a flat, greyish wallpaper picture when editing colour images).

No more desktops cluttered with unnecessary icons or moving/minimising windows to get at an icon. No more vague notions of what is required to do a task.

To me it's like being able to move to a different office, a place where everything is dedicated to one task only, where there is little to interfere with the task at hand.

Keith