[LUG] Desktops again

I've been playing with desktops again, much to the annoyance of my wife, and various thoughts have come to mind. A good summary of the main players and the issues is here http://www.datamation.com/open-source/the-fragmentation-of-the-linux-desktop-1.html except that it doesn't mention Cinamon.

The thing that struck me from this article is that what most of us want is a simple desktop from which to launch our applications with a bit of customisation to keep us happy. I run a desktop with just a panel along the bottom where I have 4 or 5 most used apps launchers (I wonder where that idea came from?) and I use the desktop as a temporary dumping ground for current projects and most used information. With KDE4 I can get that by ignoring 80% of a huge package. With Gnome3 I haven't managed to get there.

I tried Xfce and can't find a simple way of getting app launchers into the bottom panel. There is also a second side panel that seems to be for launchers but I don't want a side panel. (I can't get rid of it either). These side panels seem to be for wide screen monitors. I accidentally bought one of these recently and I hate them; give me the 4:3 any day. I haven't tried LXDE recently but I think I had similar problems. I tried Mint MGSE but had some what seem to be instability problems. I'm running Mint with Cinamon at the moment which I find very good, but am only 2 days in. I did try Trinity a while back but gave up for reasons which I can't remember.

But then I thought, what if KDE4 and Gnome 3 are big improvements bringing great benefits. Aye, and here's the rub. What are those benefits? I have seen lots of articles saying that KDE has widgets and Gnome has thingummyjigs along with lots of bling but not a lot about what you do with them. What are the uses you can put these things to? What are these wonderful ways of working that will change our lives?

I haven't seen any information of that nature, certainly not on the desktop websites. Has anyone seen any instructions anywhere that may make it worthwhile investing some of our valuable time in exploring new ways of working? Point me down that information highway to the brave new world.... please.

George