Re: [LUG] how do install debian 6

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, bad apple wrote:

On 19/01/12 16:25, paul sutton wrote:
Why if you watch this video on One PC you can press space to pause,
scroll back easily, so I find the videos easier to follow, if you look
at the official install guide from debian its slightly more than a few
pages of HTML http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ Give me that
simple, jargon / techno babble free video any day, sorry, Paul

I'm not disagreeing with you for one second here regarding the video,
but I really feel sorry for anyone who needs instructions on how to do a
basic Debian install... it's easier than a vanilla Windows install,

My experience over the years is that most people can not, and do not want to do a Windows/Linux/OSX install from scratch. They just don't care. They want to turn a computer on and have it "just work".

And to respond to Gordon, yeah, the bootloader is cooked into the SoC
firmware blob unfortunately

I don't see why that's unfortunate. If it can boot off LAN, USB and SDCARD then it's no differnt from an x86 PC BIOS.

(see the Raspberry Pi mailing lists for
linux guru Alan Cox not being exactly thrilled about this)

I'm not on their mailing lists and there appears to be are no publicly accessable archives....

but it won't
have much effect on end users as your imagined scenario of booting the
ARM netinst image and going from there is exactly what I plan to be
doing when mine arrives.

So that's fine then. Do you have a link to somewhere that gives details on the boot?

And I wish they'd fix their website it's f'ing slow in firefox - I can launch chrome and open up their FAQ page before firefox even renders it )-:

Gordon