[LUG] RaspberryPi Website performance was Re: how do install debian 6

On 19/01/12 19:00, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> And I wish they'd fix their website it's f'ing slow in firefox - I can
> launch chrome and open up their FAQ page before firefox even renders it )-:

Google Page speed on line - first high priority item on the FAQ page is
the FAQ page content itself.

"Compressing the following resources with gzip could reduce their
transfer size by 2MiB (85% reduction)."

The irony is that the page headers say mod_deflate is installed, so they
literally need just to add the line to say "compress html" (and JS, and
CSS) to reduce the FAQ page download from 2.2MB to a 0.3MB (assuming
there want to leave the commenting as it is).

Experience suggests they probably want to do this, the line is something
like:

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html

Can be in that hosts config, add extra MIME types (CSS, JS) as required.
There is probably a Wordpress plugin to do this for you by now.

I don't think I've seen a Google Page Speed score so low 15/100 and they
are using Wordpress, my own blog on Wordpress scores 90/100 and I didn't
do anything specific that I hadn't done for previous websites (i.e.
enable compression).

https://developers.google.com/pagespeed/

I can't immediately see why it is so slow on Firefox, it isn't the
Javascript, but Page Speed is mopping about a lot of redirects to
gravatar.com. My guess would be that Gravatar.com requests are handled
slightly more efficiently in Chrome.

Also I've never seen a web page exceed the Firebug Log Limit before
(more than 500 requests in one page, almost all to 0.gravatar.com, which
is a bad idea as browsers limit the number of connections to one server
to 6). Gravatar.com also uses a low cache time, so the browser will
recheck those 100's of requests every 5 minutes (sigh). I think this
commenting system just doesn't scale to this number of comments with
Avatars.

Anyway this article says Wordpress has a disable Avatar feature for the
commenting which will remove the hundreds of image fetches required to
load the FAQs page. Probably wise to do this if they want to avoid
Google penalties for page load times. Of course the cool thing to do
would be to load the Avatars after the page has loaded, or even as the
user scrolls to the relevant comments, but if Gravatar haven't done this
yet they would lose the earlier comments (which is not cool).

http://www.seomofo.com/wordpress/comments-slow-page-speed.html