Re: [LUG] how do install debian 6

On 19/01/12 17:39, bad apple wrote:
> On 19/01/12 16:25, paul sutton wrote:
>> Why if you watch this video on One PC you can press space to pause,
>> scroll back easily, so I find the videos easier to follow, if you look
>> at the official install guide from debian its slightly more than a few
>> pages of HTML http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ Give me that
>> simple, jargon / techno babble free video any day, sorry, Paul
> I'm not disagreeing with you for one second here regarding the video,
> but I really feel sorry for anyone who needs instructions on how to do a
> basic Debian install... it's easier than a vanilla Windows install,
> particularly taking into account the post-install work required to get
> the machine up to date and basically tuned,
Yeah win XP is bad enough.

>  with useful applications
> installed (centralised apt-get/synaptic vs randomly downloading
> installers from web pages: Ninite sucks). Also, anyone who finds the
> excellent Debian documentation confusing really, really shouldn't be
> doing any admin level work on any PC, ever (again, not pointing the
> finger at you Paul!).

I didn't say i find it confusing, i am talking about this being beginner
friendly,  so for beginners we need something simple so they can get up
and running,

perhaps it's easy for someone with a degree in computer science but for
the rest of the world it needs to be simple otherwise they will stick to
windows,  as tom said should be done in a few pages of HTML, this guide
runs in to a lot more than a few pages.

The documentation is far too detailed for most people,  if you just want
a simple step by step guide to run along side other documentation,  if I
want more detail i will go look for it.  For the most part I am not a
huge techie,

Part the issue with Linux is that it is seen as technical and this puts
people off,

Paul