Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Kai Hendry wrote:

Hi guys,

At risk of coming across as an idiot in public, I was wondering why
don't ISPs don't automatically offer Dynamic DNS services to their
users?

It would cost the money and support time if they did and negate the need for dynamic IP addresses in the first place.

They're giving you a dynamic one to save them support hassles and hopefully hope that you won't run server on it.

I know some do a static IP, which is nice, but a "Dynamic DNS" where a
mnemonic name like hendry.isp.example.com  would be nice no?

I noticed a lot of routers have dynamic dns dialogs to configure
horrible nagware sites like dyn and no-ip. But why isn't it more
mainstream than that?

Who's going to educate the "mainstream" ?

This is useful for demo-ing my latest nodejs creation for example. I
don't want to rent a VPS to show you a nodejs experiment.

Tenner a month or less for a VPS?

Virtually nothing for a bog-standard account on a shared system.... It's a highly competitive market now.

Gordon