Re: [LUG] Upgrading - or not ... (Debian)

So.. Just to follow this up...

Switched Wife to Linux - Debian stable a couple of months back - see the archives ;-) 2 big stumbling blocks - one was "MS Publisher", the other iTunes. We cracked the Publisher issue with Scribus. Very steep learning curve, but it's now usable. Banshee was the recommendation from this list for the iTunes replacement...

Banshee worked initially - although it wanted to re-format the iPod which was OK...

However, for whatever reason, banshee stopped working with my wifes iPod. It did work initially, and for a month or 2, then it stopped and we couldn't work out why. Tried factory resetting the iPod but that didn't help.

Wifes looking for a new mp3 player anyway (recommendations sought, not Sony) as the iPod is now somewhat battery limited.

Has to be a "pod" type device as she uses it in bed to listen to podcasts, etc. so anything bigger isn't good. (e.g. an android phone!)

Last night we tried Clementine - and that mostly works in conjunction with Banshee to get data into the device.

I've really not got the time or enthusiasm to work out the issues with it all, so my plan is this: It seems that Banshee is good enough to subscribe to and grab the podcasts my wifes after (mostly Radio 4) - if that will work into a generic mp3 player then good, but if not, then if the current Clementine download solution is OK then we'll use that, else I'll write her an rsync script.

The switch to Linux was partly decided after she was made redundant, but as luck might have it, she's just started a new part-time job where they're all using win7 and oddly enough no-one there seems to like it... I suspect they're too entrenched to change though! (it's a multi-site charity organisation)

I like Debian stable because I'm mostly lazy and have been using it since the mid 90's. I only changed window managers last years since the early 90's when I used FVWM... I've more or less given up on fiddling and hacking with things - I want something that gives me a means to put up and manage a few dozen xterms for my work - but I appreciate others work differently to me! I have to say that it pains/saddens me to see people switching distributions just to switch desktops, etc. but maybe these people have more energy than me for this sort of thing - I just don't have the time right now! Debians been good for me - apart from recently when I discovered that any application using SDL will crash X on my desktop - and my solution to that is to buy a new desktop PC... (So I'll have another workstation for sale soon ;-)

Anyway - oh, it's Friday.... At last!

Cheers,

Gordon