Re: [LUG] Unity

On 05/01/12 15:15, Tom Brough wrote:
Is it just me or is everybody else who uses Ubuntu 11.10 driven to
distraction by unity. I installed the gnome legacy packages (now that
unity is default)  but  it still didn't look and feel the same..... I'm
beginning to wish I had stuck with debian.....
I actually quite like Unity's desktop paradigm but have had trouble with it's partner, Compiz (Unity uses Compiz features) being really, really slow. In addition Unity seemed a bit too buggy with random crashes and freezes.

My laptop seems to be more stable so it's possible my experiences are more to do with the quality of the nVidia drivers & 6000 series card I use.

I recently swapped to Gnome Shell which improved my speed and seems more stable but I missed the close integration that Ubuntu/Unity has with the likes of Thunderbird - I'm talking about mail notifications and calendaring.

I now have a nice desktop system running Gnome Shell and the Unity 2D launcher along with some custom written Gnome Shell extensions which bring back some of the integration I missed. I still need to sort out Thunderbird though.

Some Unity and Compiz patches came through from Ubuntu this week that may well have fixed some of the issues I was having - but I haven't swapped back to check.

Ironically, I went through this whole Desktop malarky when KDE 4 first came out too. It was at that point I swapped to Ubuntu & Gnome from Mandrake & KDE.

Regs
Martin