Re: [LUG] Sanity check: wifi

On 05/01/12 16:18, Philip Hudson wrote:
> On 5 Jan, 2012, at 2:01 pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> I guess you have a laptop that has a Wi-Fi sticker on the outside,
>> but no Wi-Fi visible to Linux?
>
> Precisely. It also has a "WiFi" hardware button above the keyboard, as
> Mat mentioned; no discernible difference after pushing it.
>
> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

Ok, not a good start: Packard Bell... They are infamous for a lot of
(bad) reasons, including the habit of reusing the
chassis/plastics/fascia from different models, even including the "wifi
ready" logos on models which don't have wifi. I have an old Toshy
Satellite Pro with the same issue - reused casing with wifi-equipped
logos all over it and even a button to turn wifi/bluetooth on. Problem
is, there is no bluetooth or wifi hardware inside the damn thing.

Anyway, it looks like it should have a ralink chipset inside:

http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=57198
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/ralink-wireless-lan-card-v2-not-working-in-fedora-7-a-581101/

Could you post the output of dmesg? Best way to be sure. If you do have
wifi looks like you're going to be having some fun with ndiswrapper.

Cheers,

Mat