Re: [LUG] Sanity check: wifi

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 11:10:56 +0000
Philip Hudson wrote:

> If neither lshw nor lspci shows a wifi network controller as
> present, then you can be 100% certain that no wifi network controller
> is present. Right?
>
> x86 laptop running Mint 10 (based on Maverick)
>
> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

It would be safe to assume, however...

I have come across laptops before now where the "onboard WiFi" was
actually a USB device (connected directly to the USB header on the
laptop's motherboard) and the "WiFi switch" (on the side of the machine)
merely cut power to the device, essentially removing it.

I have also heard of WiFi devices that won't even identify themselves
as existing unless specific firmware is used - such that people have
had to boot into Windows to get the device "initialised" so they can
then boot into Linux and have it work.

Crazy stuff.

Grant.