Re: [LUG] Sanity check: wifi

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:18:44 +0000
Philip Hudson wrote:

> On 5 Jan, 2012, at 2:01 pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
> > I guess you have a laptop that has a Wi-Fi sticker on the outside,
> > but no Wi-Fi visible to Linux?
>
> Precisely. It also has a "WiFi" hardware button above the keyboard,
> as Mat mentioned; no discernible difference after pushing it.

You may find that this "hardware" button still triggers an event in
software. Unless there is a physical "switch" (my HP G6092ea has a
little sliding switch on the front... left for WiFi off, right for WiFi
on), there's no real guarantee that the button doesn't require
specific software to enact what the button is supposed to do.

Grant.