Re: [LUG] JRE suddenly missing

On 17/12/11 09:05, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 16/12/11 21:55, bad apple wrote:

Neil's link to http://lwn.net/Articles/472466/ explains the issue better
- the Sun/Oracle java stack is now forcibly disabled by Canonical (and
thus all downstream derivative distros such as Mint) partly due to
license issues, mostly due to Oracle's incompetence and inability to fix
multiple critical flaws. As long as you haven't installed the new empty
package via system upgrade, which will do the actual disabling, you can
manually re-enable it using the method I gave.

Otherwise, just install OpenJDK/icedtea anyway - it's the default
reference implementation anyway these days. If you *really* want or need
the Oracle Java stuff, you're going to have to jump through some hoops
to reinstall it and set it as the default. To be fair, Oracle being
Oracle, you probably don't want to do this unless you properly know what
you're doing and absolutely must have the Oracle version (I have to do
this for some of my clients badly written internal crap that won't work
on OpenJDK, which is their fault, not OpenJDKs - also the Android SDK
has some issues on anything other than the Oracle JRE I believe although
this is outside of my area of expertise).

A handy link for those who really must have Oracle Java on their Ubuntu
or derivative:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-jdk-in.html

Cheers,

Mat

Thanks to both bad apple and Neil Williams. I now see what has happened.
I have installed OpenJDK and icedtea and it is now working fine. I have
no interest in or need of the Oracle versions so I have not bothered
with them.

What on earth is going on with Sun and Oracle nowadays?

Cheers,

Neil Winchurst

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2011121207234965 will take you to the latest article on Oracle's stupidity.
Tom te tom te tom