[LUG] JRE suddenly missing

I occasionally run a program in my browser which checks the speed of
downloads. It needs Java and has been working fine. Today I suddenly get
the message that Java is not installed or not activated. I have not
touched anything to do with Java since I installed Mint 10 last April.

Looking at synaptic I find that sun-java-bin and sun-java6-jre are both
marked as installed. Also sun-java6-plugin is installed. Now I don't
know where to go next.

Should I re-install these or is there some way to get java running which
has somehow gone wrong? Could it be a recent update which has caused
this without me knowing?

Any help gratefully received,

Neil