Re: [LUG] JRE suddenly missing

On 16/12/11 21:55, bad apple wrote:

> Neil's link to http://lwn.net/Articles/472466/ explains the issue better
> - the Sun/Oracle java stack is now forcibly disabled by Canonical (and
> thus all downstream derivative distros such as Mint) partly due to
> license issues, mostly due to Oracle's incompetence and inability to fix
> multiple critical flaws. As long as you haven't installed the new empty
> package via system upgrade, which will do the actual disabling, you can
> manually re-enable it using the method I gave.
>
> Otherwise, just install OpenJDK/icedtea anyway - it's the default
> reference implementation anyway these days. If you *really* want or need
> the Oracle Java stuff, you're going to have to jump through some hoops
> to reinstall it and set it as the default. To be fair, Oracle being
> Oracle, you probably don't want to do this unless you properly know what
> you're doing and absolutely must have the Oracle version (I have to do
> this for some of my clients badly written internal crap that won't work
> on OpenJDK, which is their fault, not OpenJDKs - also the Android SDK
> has some issues on anything other than the Oracle JRE I believe although
> this is outside of my area of expertise).
>
> A handy link for those who really must have Oracle Java on their Ubuntu
> or derivative:
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-jdk-in.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mat

Thanks to both bad apple and Neil Williams. I now see what has happened.
I have installed OpenJDK and icedtea and it is now working fine. I have
no interest in or need of the Oracle versions so I have not bothered
with them.

What on earth is going on with Sun and Oracle nowadays?

Cheers,

Neil Winchurst