Re: [LUG] Laptop for OpenGL

On 09/12/11 17:50, Chris Tipney wrote:
Hi,

Anyone have any experience with OpenGl and a laptop using Linux ?

Here is the quote from the OpenGL.org howto book:

-------------------- cut --------------------------------------

System Requirements [top]

To be able to run the examples in this book, your GPU must support OpenGL 4.0 in its entirety.

  • If you own an NVIDIA GPU, it must at least be in the Fermi family of products, starting with the GeForce GTX 400 series.
  • If you own an AMD/ATI GPU, it must at least be in the Radeon HD 5000 series.

If you’re not sure about your GPU, refer to the manufacturer’s website for more information and the latest device drivers.

It looks like a futre uni project will need a fair bit of OpenGL work and I need the versatility of working on a laptop. I can probably justify a new one as long as it's not too expensive.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Thats to run all the stuff in the book - I doubt if your uni course will cover more than a fraction of what OpenGL4 covers.
OpenGL functions DO NOT have to be in the gpu - often the driver will add the support.
Tom te tom te tom