Re: [LUG] Laptop for OpenGL

Robin,

On 10/12/2011 08:42, Robin Cornelius wrote:
On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Chris Tipney<chris@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I am looking to create a 'simple' 3D model of the human wrist and hand in
block form - how detailed and how many verts/tris depends on how ambitious
we get. The model has to move as in response to external commands. Initially
I would be happy for the components to be blocks and cylinders.
I might be able to help a little with this, although not with the
creation of the initial model as thats not my area.
Thanks for that - perhaps I could get back to you once I have more idea of the requirements.

The way i believe you should tackle this is known as bone
rigging/skinning, that is you create a bone structure that represents
the hand and wrist, usually this is in a default pose. You then create
a mesh of the hand that sits directly over that bone structure. Each
vertex in the skin is then associated with two (or more) bones and
given a weight. Once that is done animation becomes quite straight
forward, if you apply bone rotations which rotates a bone WRT its
joint to its parent. Everything else at this point should fall out as
you cascade bone rotations all the way to the end of the current
branch, then you basically apply the skin to the new bone positions
weighting the vertexes according to the bones positions and it all
works ;-)
Again I will need to get more information from the tutors about what they are after in terms of realism, for now I am just trying to get a idea of the size of the task assuming for now that the priority is to get the model to follow instructions in real time.

Getting it to look more realistic can come later.

I know this a 'how long is a piece of string question' but I'm curious to know how long it took you to get comfortable at working with at OpenGL - just simple graphics.

Cheers,

Chris