Re: [LUG] Parallel printer - to USB

 On 28/11/2011 15:11, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have Googled for info about my printer and it does indeed say that it
has a parallel socket and a USB socket. I never knew that. My excuse is
that the printer arrived, new, with just one cable, for the parallel
socket, so I just assumed that was it.

I have had a look at the rear of the printer but I cannot find the
socket. At least, there seems to be an extra one but it does not look
like a USB socket. I am assuming that it should look like a USB one, but
perhaps that is wrong. More research.

Thanks

Neil
If it's square with two corners on one side rounded off that's a USB component socket.. standard fare on a lot of kit, so the cables are fairly easy to acquire. No surprise your printer didn't have one.. even USB only printers don't - the outlet expects you to have one or buy it separately. There is in my view an argument to say a printer sold without the correct cable is not fit for purpose so it should come at no extra cost, and I certainly never buy an overpriced shop one.

Julian