Re: [LUG] Parallel printer - to USB

On 28/11/11 16:03, Julian Hall wrote:
> If it's square with two corners on one side rounded off that's a USB
> component socket.. standard fare on a lot of kit, so the cables are
> fairly easy to acquire.  No surprise your printer didn't have one.. even
> USB only printers don't - the outlet expects you to have one or buy it
> separately.  There is in my view an argument to say a printer sold
> without the correct cable is not fit for purpose so it should come at no
> extra cost, and I certainly never buy an overpriced shop one.
>
> Julian

That seems to describe it. No wonder I ignored it when I bought the
printer, it obviously wasn't the parallel socket. I have had a look
around the internet for a cable. It seems that some work better than
others. More research, sigh.

My other question in my original posting was whether I would notice any
advantages if I set up the printer as USB as opposed to leaving it as it
is. It could well not be worth the bother. No doubt my next printer will
be USB only.

Thanks for the help,

Neil