Re: [LUG] Desktop trauma

On 18/11/11 21:52, David Bell wrote:
On Friday 18 November 2011 17:29:52 George Parker wrote:

I can get a desktop that looks as I want it except that I can find no way to
place the icons at random.
Right click on the desktop and select "Unlock the desktop". Lock it again when
you have sorted out your icons. The same applies to the Task Bar (manager).

I can't make any sense out of the kicker panel,
not in the 2 hours I played with it.
Right click on the Kickoff Application Launcher and select "Classic Menu Style"

Hope this helps.

Hi David,

The Desktop is unlocked and the icons sit stubbornly in rows. In the configure desktop there are 4 options, arrange icons left to right, arrange icons top to bottom and vice versa. No "do not arrange icons". In the sort icons you can sort alphabetically. date order, etc. or do not sort. With do not sort selected it makes not a blind bit of difference because I can't move the icons. If you try to drag and drop it just stretches the icon envelope, but doesn't move it.

Selecting classic panel doesn't do a lot either. When I try to put application widgets onto the panel they go to the far right. There doesn't seem to be a way to move them. Yes, the panel is unlocked.

I'm now going to install Mint Gnome 12 RC and give it a whirl.

George