Re: [LUG] Desktop trauma

On 14/11/11 10:04, George Parker wrote:
My rant isn't really about Debian testing shoving Gnome 3 at me. If I was doing serious work I wouldn't use testing and in future I'll be a bit more careful about what I upgrade. My rant is about the fact that the 2 main desktops have both gone down the bells & whistles route to the detriment of how I want my desktop to work. I have no doubt I could manipulate KDE and Gnome to look roughly as I want them but why should I? Why install a huge programme and then hide most of it's features?
Because MS has sold the idea that computing is simple. It never was and never will be but there’s this perception that it can be and until everyone gets a grip then there will be this idiocy that hiding the brake pedal will make driving easier combined with programmers not learning the basics and reinventing a multitude of wobbly wheels and trying to combine them to make something already available in libc6 or whatever. In computing terms the world is in a similar state to Easter Island putting up the last Moai and cutting down the last tree.
Tom te tom te tom