Re: [LUG] creating space

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 22:01 +0000, James Kilty wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a warning message telling me I have low disc space left in
> "Filesystem root" (1.45MB of 7.45GiB). Some time ago I uninstalled a few
> programmes but did not remove them completely. Does this leave them
> taking up space?
>
> I seem to remember one of them was epiphany yet I still have
> epiphany-data there. In synaptic, it tells me under installed (auto
> removable) there are several including epiphany-data. But it also
> includes kde-data and I cannot see me having to uninstall this.
>
> Is there a way to completely uninstall these "orphaned" programmes
> without naming them?
>
> Otherwise, I have 2 partitions with a reserve install of Ubuntu 8.04
> which I could use to absorb some of the folders or extend / to another
> partition. But which one and how?
>
> usr has 4.4GB with 380,000+ items, lib has just under 1GB, var has
> 2/3GB, sys has 621MB.
>
> I could uninstall some programmes I don't use like abiword and gnumeric
> and amarok so should I "completely remove" them or might this lose some
> shared dependencies?
>
> /home has 27.94GiB (3.36 used); the other 2 (Ubuntu 8.04) have 7.45GiB
> and 28.6GiB.
>
> Thanks
>
> James
> --
> James Kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk
> http://unitycontrol.co.uk
> http://cornwallbuddhists.org

AFAIK most of the things that are left when you "uninstall" rather than
"completely uninstall" are configuration files, which are usually on
\home.

\var looks a bit big, so might be worth checking system logs too.
logrotate doesn't always work properly, so you could try using bleachbit
to remove old archived logs from \var. Also check that syslog isn't
filling up rapidly, especially with repeated messages from sendmail. If
the kernel is using sendmail to inform you of problems then it can end
up spamming the logs if it isn't properly configured (although I must
admit I don't know how to configure sendmail properly for system
messages - anyone?)

You could also try uninstalling old versions of the linux kernel /
headers etc after updates (once you are certain that the current one
works ok) I usually keep the previous one just to be sure, but no older.

Phil