Re: [LUG] iPad in school

I had to change the subject because I had deleted the thread and when
I tried to get it from the archive the site didn't recognize my
address.

Anyway, although the discussion is ended I think this is worth a
glance. I was sent it by a friend in the US who is interested in the
social effects of technology. These people should carry some weight, I
think, though they are a select group and I'm not sure that the
Waldorf model would appeal to Cornwall.

Tony

Geeks Prefer Books and Chalk
November 7, 2011

Patience, and the mulberry leaf becomes a silk gown.  -Chinese Proverb
"Schools nationwide have rushed to supply their classrooms with
computers, and many policy makers say it is foolish to do
otherwise. But the contrarian point of view can be found at the
epicenter of the tech economy, where some parents and educators have a
message: computers and schools donât mix." This surprising assertion
appeared in an October 22 New York Times article, " A Silicon Valley
School That Doesn't Compute ."

The school, which enrols children of parents from Google, Apple,
Yahoo, ebay, and Hewlett-Packard, is the Waldorf School of the
Peninsula, one of around 160 Waldorf schools in the country that
subscribe to a teaching philosophy focused on physical activity and
learning through creative, hands-on tasks. Those who endorse this
approach say computers inhibit creative thinking, movement, human
interaction, and attention spans.... The schoolâs chief teaching tools
are anything but high-tech: pens and paper, knitting needles and,
occasionally, mud. Not a computer to be found. No screens at all. They
are not allowed in the classroom, and the school even frowns on their
use at home.

Here is the viewpoint of a typical parent, Alan Eagle, an executive at
Google:

"I fundamentally reject the notion you need technology aids in grammar
school.... The idea that an app on an iPad can better teach my kids to
read or do arithmetic, thatâs ridiculous.â And asking, "What's the
rush to learn technology in schools," Eagle observes, âItâs super
easy. Itâs like learning to use toothpaste. At Google and all these
places, we make technology as brain-dead easy to use as possible.
Thereâs no reason why kids canât figure it out when they get older.â