[LUG] Help for Newbie

Hi

I have just received this request from a Fellow Model Railroad Enthusiast (in the US).

"Hello Peter
I now have Ubuntu on an older PC. No online capability yet.
Is there a good source online to give me a tutorial and a searchable database for help? Something real simple for a very ignorant novice?
I looked at the Ubuntu site and got confused real quickly. It seems too technical for me.
FYI The other PC, a Dell, is online and I can pull up anything to read while working on the other PC/Ubuntu/offline.
My goal at this point is just to get familiar with Ubuntu. Heck, I can't even sign off yet.
Morgan "

I have done a bit of googling but have not really found anything, but at least he has Ubuntu running now.

BTW he did offer to phone me, not realising I am UK based!  What I will do though is get him to google for a local LUG when I reply.

Thanks in advance

Peter L-J