Re: [LUG] USB hard drives

On 05/11/11 17:43, Simon Waters wrote:
On 05/11/11 17:31, Kevin Lucas wrote:
Am I missing something obvious here?  Answers on a postcard to.....
Have you got more than one USB port?

Some are usb 1 and some are usb2
But they are backward compatible, so the worst that seems likely is a
slow data rate.

can the Bios see a disk USB on boot?

if not the it wont work anyway
A box doesn't need to be able to boot from USB devices in BIOS to be
able to see them when plugged in.

e.g. Linux is smarter than your bios - at least unless Linux is your
bios, and even then it might not be as comprehensive as a typical
general purpose desktop kernel.

Post it to me I could format it to 40 GIg (I have serval old lappys
which can see more than 40Gig from the bios)
or take it to the next meeting and slot it in someone's lappy and format
it with a live cd
At this point I think it likely the disk is a dud. Although George said
"same result" with the 40GB disk which I don't understand, George are
you saying the 40GB disk doesn't show when connected to the USB device?

I would use "lsusb" which is part of the usbutils package, or possibly
just lshw when the device when the disks are connected via USB. Although
"dmesg" should show output relating to having the disk connected -
pretty much plugging in any USB device gets you some blurb usually.

Hi Simon and Kevin,

I am saying that the 40 Gb disk doesn't show when connected to the USB. The BIOS doesn't see them and lsusb only shows my mouse connected. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002UZRRXG is the caddy I'm using which is a USB2. My desktop is USB2 also. There may be a problem with the caddy electronics or the cable. (I have just spent half an hour looking for a USB to USB cable. Lots of fancy connector to USB but ....)

Find a laptop that accepts bigger drives is the answer I think, thank you Kevin. Someone I know in Brixham must have one.

Thanks again

George