Re: [LUG] Help for Newbie

On 07/11/11 09:27, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
Hi

I have just received this request from a Fellow Model Railroad
Enthusiast (in the US).

"Hello Peter
I now have Ubuntu on an older PC. No online capability yet.
Is there a good source online to give me a tutorial and a searchable
database for help? Something real simple for a very ignorant novice?
I looked at the Ubuntu site and got confused real quickly. It seems too
technical for me.
FYI The other PC, a Dell, is online and I can pull up anything to read
while working on the other PC/Ubuntu/offline.
My goal at this point is just to get familiar with Ubuntu. Heck, I can't
even sign off yet.
Morgan "

I have done a bit of googling but have not really found anything, but at
least he has Ubuntu running now.

BTW he did offer to phone me, not realising I am UK based!  What I will
do though is get him to google for a local LUG when I reply.

Thanks in advance

Peter L-J

I found one link to a list of LUGs... http://www.eskimo.com/links/lugs.html

It might be a good starting point. Other than that maybe the Ubuntu forums (as it's international). Maybe if he could let you know where abouts he is in the US we might be able to find him a LUG.

I'd also suggest that if he can get his PC running Linux on the internet it might make his life easier, he can then download stuff online without having to manually download packages and their dependencies to a USB stick/hard drive and he'd possibly be able to get some remote support using something like TeamViewer.

Rob