Message----
From: zleap@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 19/10/2011 10:46

To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subj: Re: [LUG] Oh Woe is me -
Laptop recommendations time please

On 19/10/11 11:34,
Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, tom wrote:

On 19/10/11 09:23, Kai Hendry wrote:
Thinkpad
X220 is going for 800GBP on the UK Lenovo site. Excellent

machine.

alas well out of my price range -
and only 1/2 the power of my 1/4
price desktop.

Does anyone have  a  few 10's of millions to develop a
laptop
co-processor plugin? If raspberrypi can be done
for Â25 then for a
couple of hundred it should be
possible to stick  a 4*( 2Ghz core  +
1gbB) into a
laptop for linux users.

You can get dual-core laptops
for under Â400. Mother in law is just
about to get one -
probably an Acer 5733z - which comes with 6GB of
RAM a
dual-core Pentium something (2GHz?) and a claimed battery
life
of 3.5 hours... It will run Win7 and I'm not even
going to think about
putting Linux on it (actually it
will make me happy to never have to
touch it, however)

Raspberry Pi is being done cheaply because the
designer is very
probably writing off the NRE. Consider
that they've been working on it
for over a year - try
adding in the equivalent salary of 2 (?) people
working
on something for that long, probably a little more than 8

hours a day at times, etc. That Â25 just represents the
cost of the
hardware...

What does NRE mean?
And
if you want an intersting co-processor, look at the
Parallax
Propeller chip :)

Gordon

http://www.zleap.net>