Re: [LUG] Oh Woe is me - Laptop recommendations time please

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, tom wrote:

On 19/10/11 09:23, Kai Hendry wrote:
Thinkpad X220 is going for 800GBP on the UK Lenovo site. Excellent machine.

alas well out of my price range - and only 1/2 the power of my 1/4 price desktop. Does anyone have a few 10's of millions to develop a laptop co-processor plugin? If raspberrypi can be done for £25 then for a couple of hundred it should be possible to stick a 4*( 2Ghz core + 1gbB) into a laptop for linux users.

You can get dual-core laptops for under £400. Mother in law is just about to get one - probably an Acer 5733z - which comes with 6GB of RAM a dual-core Pentium something (2GHz?) and a claimed battery life of 3.5 hours... It will run Win7 and I'm not even going to think about putting Linux on it (actually it will make me happy to never have to touch it, however)

Raspberry Pi is being done cheaply because the designer is very probably writing off the NRE. Consider that they've been working on it for over a year - try adding in the equivalent salary of 2 (?) people working on something for that long, probably a little more than 8 hours a day at times, etc. That £25 just represents the cost of the hardware...

And if you want an intersting co-processor, look at the Parallax Propeller chip :)

Gordon