Re: [LUG] Oh Woe is me - Laptop recommendations time please

Non Recurring Engineering Cost.

Ray.

Message----

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> [...]

X220 is going for 800GBP on the UK Lenovo site. Excellent

>>> alas well out of my price range -
and only 1/2 the power of my 1/4
>>> price desktop.

Does anyone have  a  few 10's of millions to develop a
laptop
>>> co-processor plugin? If raspberrypi can be done
for Â25 then for a
>>> couple of hundred it should be
possible to stick  a 4*( 2Ghz core  +
>>> 1gbB) into a
laptop for linux users.

>> You can get dual-core laptops
for under Â400. Mother in law is just
>> about to get one -
probably an Acer 5733z - which comes with 6GB of
>> RAM a
dual-core Pentium something (2GHz?) and a claimed battery
life
>> of 3.5 hours... It will run Win7 and I'm not even
going to think about
>> putting Linux on it (actually it
will make me happy to never have to
>> touch it, however)

>> Raspberry Pi is being done cheaply because the
designer is very
>> probably writing off the NRE. Consider
that they've been working on it
>> for over a year - try
adding in the equivalent salary of 2 (?) people
>> working
on something for that long, probably a little more than 8

>> hours a day at times, etc. That Â25 just represents the
cost of the
>> hardware...
>>

>What does NRE mean?
>> And
if you want an intersting co-processor, look at the
Parallax

Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com>