Re: [LUG] Indian "MCSE" phone phishers again

 On 16/10/2011 22:21, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Mark Evans wrote:

On 16/10/11 17:34, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:06:23 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just get a trucall and be done with it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrueCall-The-Nuisance-Call-Blocker/dp/B002GP7HQM/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

Aware of them, but they're pricey, IMO.  Anyhow, for us, bogus and
nuisance calls aren't a big issue now BT have stopped 'phoning us.

An OpenVox TDM400 card is half that price, but then you'll spend 100x
the balance in your own time installing & setting up asterisk just to do
caller ID detection & rejection...

On the other hand someone may already have created a suitable
configuration and you can be far more creative with the "get lost
messages". As well as being able to put in the numbers of known
troublemakers before they call.

I'm in the process of overhauling my (commercial) PBX handling of withheld, blacklisted, etc. numbers.. One thing that's always been an issue is that of innocent people who have their number witheld due to reasons outside their control - e.g. staff working in DCC... Do you give them a PIN, or just dump them in voicemail, or not answer, or ... ?

One solution I'm looking at is to give callers their own calling number - I can detect the incoming number and map it to a person regardless of their withheld number status and pass it on... That'll work as long as they keep the number private and it's not 'found' by cold callers...

However numbers cost money, so who knows...

Gordon

I ran into a similar issue in work a few years ago because our customer authentication for the free dialup accounts relied partially on checking the number the connection was made from. If you're ex-directory your number is automatically withheld, at least it was the last time I heard.

Julian