Re: [LUG] Indian "MCSE" phone phishers again

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 15/10/11 21:51, Gordon Henderson wrote:

We're ex directory and TPS registered. I've had one cold call this year,
and technically it wasn't a cold call, it was a "marketing call" from a
company who I currently buy product off (or one of their subsiduarys)

But maybe I'm just lucky...

Slightly lucky, I get a handful of calls a year with similar opt out.

I get more calls via my mobile which I presume is because Google sold
the number.

Ah mobile calls :)

I got one call last week on my mobile.. (the 2nd this year IIRC), Someone trying to sell me some sort of investment plan. The trick here really is to keep them going for as long as possible as it's costing them a silly amount of money, however... BT will offer telemarketers a deal on calling mobile numbers which caps the call to 20p for up to an hours chat[1], but if they're not using BT, then they will be paying (hopefully) real money to place the call to a mobile, so keep then going for as long as you can...

Gordon

[1] I lost a client due to that - they listened to the shiny suited BT salsdroids, then signed them up for a 3-year deal on an ISDN30 line. Still, since I know that all their calls to mobile are at least 30 minutes long and they have 15 people doing telesales to mobiles, I reckon BT will lose-out on this in the long-run.