Re: [LUG] apt changelog?

On 16/10/11 09:33, Philip Hudson wrote:
> I do all my debian package updates at the command line. Today I saw a
> new release of a font, ttf-inconsolata, which I would use more if a
> single simple change was made (distinguishing zero from uppercase o),
> and wondered if this was it. How do I check what the change was for a
> given apt update candidate?

The right combination of apticron or cron-apt with package:

apt-listchanges

Will get you the latest changes downloaded (but not installed) and an
email listing important changes sent to you. Or downloaded, installed,
and a list emailed to you if you fiddle with the settings.

If it is just one package, and it isn't installed (so you can't check
/usr/share/doc/<packagename>/changelog.Debian.gz) then website
packages.debian.org is my usual point of call (I'm sure there are
command line tools that tell you these as well but I like the
hyperlinking to different versions and related packages).

You can visit "http://packages.debian.org/<packagename>" and it will do
the obvious search leading to....

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/f/fonts-inconsolata/fonts-inconsolata_001.010-4/changelog

Suggests all recent changes are to keep it inline with Debian packaging
policy and that they increment the second number (010) when upstream
make changes (which are what you'll be after if you want the font to
change).

For end user systems I'd go with making it update automatically and
email you the changes, since as long as you target stable all you get is
security updates to installed packages and urgent fixes, and you
probably want all of those installed ASAP.