Re: [LUG] network buffering

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 14/09/11 21:38, tom wrote:

Well they are in California YouEssofA so you cant really expect
blistering performance. Try an analyser nearer to home...

The analyser is excellent, gave it a try and it spotted a couple of
minor issues, very thorough.

This is a buffer delay not round trip latency. They are flooding the
queues (probably on your router) and then saying how it takes for stuff
to escape the queue.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/The-ICSI-Netalyzr-Explored-113972

I tried tweaking a lot of things and got uplink network buffer delay
down from just under 3000 to 2000ms but couldn't push it further. Main
gain was enabling wondershaper, although discovered wondershaper
destroys my download bandwidth (useful to know).

Consist with my experience that my link is dreadful when uploading
photos and gets a lot better with wondershaper.

Wondershaper is good and can dramatically improve things, but the whole Linux QoS/Traffic shaping stuff, while technologically brilliant is rather hard to manage at times. The basic premiss is that you throttle your outgoing speed to something like 95% of the rated speed so the output buffers from your end onwards never fill up - thus allowing the ack's from incoming data to get out in a timely manner to allow full speed incoming while maintaining almost full speed outgoing.

You can then add tweaks to the rules to accelerate outgoing acks and prioritise interactive traffic like ssh and VoIP.

There's not a lot you can do on the incoming side as once the data is clocked over the line and into your router there's not much that can be done without filling up the buffers facing you - which the ISPs tend to like doing as it make it feel like you're getting data faster. I'm told some ISPs (well AAISP) will throttle this at their end to just under the line rate which tends to improve things though.

Since the details of the test aren't revealed I'd be left looking at
packet traces to get any further - although I think it may be time to
upgrade my router - lack of IPv6 and bad DNS behaviour are getting tedious.

Vigor 120 modem and a Linux router... Which is what I have at home/office. Although the Billion BiPAC 7800N has good IPv6 firmware available, but while I've installed a couple of them, I've not tried their IPv6 firmware yet.

The down-side of the separate modem/router/switch/Wi-Fi AP is the number of boxes and additional spaghetti required. Hard to justify in a home, maybe, but I'm (slowly) persuading my clients to go down that route...

Currently building an 8-port router for one who'll have 2 Internet feeds and 4 internal LANs..

Gordon